Factory farming is the commercial production of livestock related products in closed area. Here, the livestock density is high. The main output is meat, milk and eggs. The industry is guided by statutory and case law. This is labeled under animal law which itself have several aspects:-
- Litigation arising out of veterinary malpractice;
- Property dispute arising out of divorce between farm owning couple;
- Criminal law encompassing domestic violence and anti-cruelty law.
- Damage cases caused due to death of a companion animal;
- Housing litigation caused due to breach of “no pets” policy or other discrimination laws.
Moreover, there are definite rules regarding the procedure of confinement of egg laying hens, pregnant pigs, etc.
Several states and local bar associations have animal law committees. These committees defend the interest of animals in factory farms. Moreover, there is growing pressure from animal welfare organizations on the factory farm owners.
This is because factory farm owners use artificial techniques to increase production and maintain hygiene. These techniques are harmful for health and environment. In USA, farm bill is the primary tool for manipulating and standardizing the agricultural and food policy.
Texas has the highest production of livestock in USA. It also leads the livestock farming industry in terms of total area of land under livestock farming in USA. In case you want to start your own factory farming, it is better to get in touch with a Texas Business Lawyer specializing in livestock farming business.